Ok, so I really wanted to write this because I feel really nauseous and stressed and it’s like 11pm and I’m trying to keep my sleep schedule good for school so I just need to get some things off of my chest and talk about school because honestly I want to talk about school.
I found 20 questions from: https://printdiscuss.com/school-conversation-questions/ because I can’t think of questions and I want to answer some questions 😉
If you’re wondering, I’m starting Year 9 (8th grade) and it starts on Thursday (30th) because we break off for summer really early (in England anyway).
- When did you start school? Do you remember your first day?
I started school when I was 4 but I started the school I go to now when I was 7. I remember my first day of my current school but not of my first school. All I remember is a picture of me in front of my school and I had a horrible fake smile lol.
- How far did you have to travel from home to school? How did you get to school?
I’m a lucky person because I only live a 15 minute walk to school (10 minutes if I walk fast or I go the shorter route) so I walk because I hate taking the local bus and my parents don’t own a car. (We live really close to literally everything so it’s not that big of an issue)
- Did you enjoy school life? What did you like and dislike about it?
Generally, I enjoy it because I actually like lessons and it helps a lot when I get into a lesson because it distracts me from my anxiety but I don’t like anything that involves talking in front of a lot of people or anything to do with sports.
- Who was your favorite teacher? What do you remember about him or her?
My favourite teacher in primary school (elementary school) was my year 6 (5th grade) teacher because she doted on me and I just loved her. My favourite middle/secondary school teacher would probably be my history teacher because I’m also doted on by her and she’s just a nice unusual person.
- What was your favorite subject at school? Why?
My favourite subject was always computing because I just had a natural passion for it. I also really like Math but nobody else does so that’s kinda sad. I also like Spanish because my mom knows Spanish so I get a leg-up on everyone else 😉
- Did you have to wear a uniform to school? If so, what did yours look like?
YES. I have to wear a uniform (almost all English schools require uniform), and mine is basically a dark blue blazer and a dark green plaid skirt. I actually quite like the uniform even though it’s really posh (I go to a private school so obviously it would be posh).
- What are the pros and cons of uniforms for school kids?
Pros – you don’t have to choose an outfit, you don’t get judged. Cons – it can be really boring and if you don’t like your uniform that’s tough luck.
- How many children were there in your class? What is the best number of students for a class?
In my class for next year there is 23 people which isn’t too bad but when I was younger there was like 15 people.
- Did you go to any academies or receive any tutoring outside of your main school?
I took music lessons in school but with private teachers to learn an instrument but I didn’t take tutoring for subjects I was already studying because I get good grades anyway.
- What did you and your classmates do during your lunch break?
In summer, we normally played tennis on the courts but in winter we sit in the library and talk because the couches are really nice there haha.
- Was there bullying at your school? Did you have to deal with any bullies?
At my first school, yes. I kept getting punched every day but in this school not really, because my school is pretty small and I’m pretty unpopular so I don’t get in too much drama.
- Did you get a lot of homework?
I get around an hour-1 1/2 hours of homework a night, which I actually enjoy because I get really bored in the evenings so homework gives me something to do.
- How much sport did you do at school?
We had about an hour and 45 minutes of PE a week, plus sports day and house sports, but I pretty much only did the former because I never signed up for any extra sports because I SUUCK.
- Was art a significant part of your schooling?
We had art classes and we had art competitions quite a bit, so I guess.
- Did you learn any practical subjects like woodwork or cooking? What do you think about that kind of practical education?
We did DT (design tech) and FN (food nutrition) each for half a year and I liked the subjects but the teachers were pretty hit-or-miss.
- Were your schools single-sex or co-educational?
My first school and part of my second was co-ed, but my secondary school is an all-girls school.
- Were you involved in any musical or theatrical performances at school?
I’m not a drama kid, but I play two instruments in school so I did a lot of musical performances.
- When students behaved badly, how were they punished at your school?
We were given ‘penalty points’ and if you get 3 in one term, I think you get detention and a phone call home. Or we were just yelled at to shut up lol.
- What do you think about physical punishment?
- Did you ever skip school? What did you do instead of going to school?
I’ve skipped school to go on a family reunion/holiday and I’ve also pretended to be way sicker than I was so I could stay home sick. I’m glad I had a fake sick day though because that’s when I discovered emo music and now I’ve never looked back.
So that was a little questionnaire and I’m just going to list my thoughts randomly because I just want to say them.
- I’m excited to come back so there will be a new group of year 7s (6th grade) to boss around.
- I’m kinda scared about not being in the top math set for next year because I’ve always been in top set and my report grades weren’t that good.
- I’m hoping my timetable will be good next year.
- I’m hoping I will finally get a top locker (I’m literally the tallest in the year group and I’ve had a bottom locker for 2 years) because the school is moving around a bunch of lockers and we’re all swapping anyway.
- Basically, on the day before the first day of school, the year 7s (6th grade) have an induction day, where they get their locker key, timetable, planner etc (even though you get those in double form period from year 8 (7th grade) anyway, but those form periods are used for ‘settling in’ in year 7 anyway), and I’m going to be a troll and walk past my school on the induction day; no uniform, headphones in and hopefully troll the year 7s that know who I am.
- I’m hoping I won’t get an anxiety attack in the middle of form period (I did last year and I just sniffed my hand sanitizer until it went away (it’s a eucalypts-scented one)).
- I know I’m going to be in top set English next year (I got good exam results and really good report grades, not to mention getting level 7s and 8s on my assignments (8+ I think is the highest you can get) but the teacher is way too lax and I’ve had her before and I’ve been bored throughout all of her lessons. And I only had her for a double period a week, now I’m going to have her for 2 double periods. Apparently top set English is fun in year 9, according to my friends (who are starting year 10/9th grade).
Those are pretty much all of my thoughts for next year, but expect a first day of school post either on Thursday or the weekend because I will want to share a lot, basically my timetable haha.